Club History


The club was founded in 1923, originally as a sub-section of the ‘Judaean Physical Culture Society of Victoria’. Rose Carrick, who instigated that first meeting became secretary and was later elected as the first life member of the club. Initially the club played out of Florence St, Brunswick. The club became a tennis club on its own soon afterwards as Judaean Tennis Club and leased courts up a lane off Hotham St in St Kilda. Some years later the club moved to 97 Alma Road in St Kilda, originally on asphalt, later en tous cas, and finally on Mod-grass courts.

A separate club, the North Judaean Tennis Club, started in Carlton in the 1930’s, closing down some 20 years later, with its members either joining the South Judaean Tennis Club or the newly formed North Eastern Jewish Tennis Club in Doncaster. Ben Alexander was the last President of North Judaean Tennis Club, and helped found the North Eastern Jewish Centre. He and Clive Fredman were the driving forces behind the Doncaster club.

The Tennis Club issued the first Jewish interstate Tennis challenge in 1926 and this became the forerunner of very successful multi sport carnivals. The club has been competing continuously in Lawn Tennis Association Victoria and Tennis Victoria Pennant since 1949, as well as Southern District , Brighton District and Bayside district competitions. The two clubs have had over 500 members at one time. and 11 teams (at South Judaean) and 6 teams competing as NEJTC in many season's competing as high as "Special B" in men’s and in one season "A" in Women's.

In the early 1950’s the club had Hans Licht as President, who was Sports Editor and later, Editor of the Jewish News, ensuring great publicity for the club. These years were some of the club’s strongest years, with eleven pennant teams, and regular interchange with Israeli Davis Cup players, Josh Shalem, Joseph Stabholz, Eliazar Davidman together with an Irish player, Anderson and a Vietnamese Davis Cup Player Lu Duc. All the foreign imports competed for the Club as well as receiving specialised tuition from the legendary Australian Davis Cup Captain Harry Hopman. Eva Duldig who played at Wimbledon also captained the ladies A pennant Team. Until the loss of Alma Road there were regular inter-state competitions, inter club competitions, country tournaments plus the annual interstate Maccabi Carnivals.

In 1962 Leon Haskin who had joined the club in 1948, playing in the club’s first ever Pennant side in 1949 as well as being on the committee, took over as President and has been a constant on the committee and as a competitor for nearly 60 years. He was last President in 2002.

Since the loss of 97 Alma Road in 1992, the club has been playing out of eight different venues in one year and 12 venues in total. In the early 2000’s The North Eastern Jewish Tennis Club also lost its home and at that time merged with Ajax Maccabi Tennis Club as it had become to form The Maccabi Tennis Club, which now has its new home at the Leon Haskin Tennis Centre at Bentleigh East.

Past Presidents

The N.E.J.T.C amalgamated with AJAX Maccabi Tennis Club to form Maccabi Tennis Club in 1996. This Presidents list therefore includes those from both clubs.

A. Roth N.M. Rose
B.Donald E.Browne
C.Fredman L. Haskin
P. Schiftan J.R. Fleischer
J. Pila J.R. Fleischer
E. Weidman M. Rudov
H.Katz D. Lewis
M. Oberman H. Lawson
J. Iglicki J. Feldman
S. Sher Richard Minc
A. Markov F. Tisher
M.J. Finks G. J. Leonard
H. Licht Robert Minc
D. Selzer M. Levin
B. M. Isaacs B. Cochrane-Davis
H. Muscatel  



Life Members

R. Benjamin (dec)
H. Synman (dec)
M. Ashkanasy (dec)
H. Licht (dec)
L. Haskin
M. Nathan (dec)
N.M. Rose
J. Goldberg (dec)
J. Feldman
D. Cass
C. Fredman
P. Schiftan
H. Brzezinski


Also in This Section


Tennis Club Facebook page
Subscribe to maccChat
Junior Club Championships 2019