Club News

Back to News

Under 16's Report - 10 August 2014

Posted: 14-Aug-2014 by Hakoah Sydney City East Football Club

HAKOAH 4 (Jordi Swibel 2; Harry Buch 1; Jacob Riesel 1) defeated BALMAIN 2

Hakoah U16’s returned to the winners circle on Sunday with a come from behind 4-2 victory against Balmain at Wentworth Park.

The spiritual home of Hakoah from the 1950-1970’s was the setting on Sunday morning as the young Blues took the field on the same hallowed turf which served as the home ground for the club in bygone days.

Hakoah came out at full steam in the opening minutes and had the opposition pressed back in their half through some enterprising football.

Clever distribution from Jordi Swibel and Gideon Fine set the Blue machine rolling early and it was only through some good keeping by the Balmain custodian and some poor finishing from Hakoah that kept the scoreboard inactive.
Eventually the breakthrough came when Jordi Swibel sent a free kick crashing against the cross bar for Jacob Riesel to follow up and slam home the opener in the 20th minute for a 1-0 lead.

Then totally against the run of the Hakoah backline opened up as wide as Sydney Heads to allow Balmain to slide through a ball to their striker and equalise at 1-1.
The Tigers took the lead into the half time break when for the second week running Hakoah conceded an own goal for a 2-1 deficit.

Fired up for the 2nd half by a tactical switch to go with three at the back which saw Julian Dimas come out of goals and add some muscle up front while Alon Rubin donned the gloves for another cameo between the sticks.

Hakoah lifted a gear and took the game to Balmain from the outset with Kevin Geller, Jacob Riesel and Noah Evans building a brick wall at the back.

This allowed our midfield of Liam Denvir, Gideon Fine and Jordi Swibel to control the engine room and get our strikers moving forward. The extra distribution saw Harry Buch, Dylan Drakoulos, Alex Cardamis, Gabba Simantov and Tilan Lee relish in the front third.
A Swibel corner kick in the 55th minute was met sweetly by the head of Harry Buch to notch the equaliser for 2-2. 

Soon after Julian Dimas held up the ball and laid a pass for a low shot by Jordi Swibel which was too hot to handle for the Balmain keeper as it squeezed inside the post for a 3-2 lead.

Jordi Swibel then put the icing on the cake with 10 minutes to play when he deftly chipped the keeper for 4-2.

The win consolidates 2nd spot on the ladder only by goal difference to leaders Nepean who still have a game in hand against Western NSW Mariners who we play this week end.

A tough road trip ahead up in Bathurst but destiny is in our hands if we are good enough.


Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest news